This Health & Safely Policy Statement was approved by the Board of City Building at its meeting on 26 August 2006. The Board and the Managing Director of City Building accept the aims and provisions of the Health & Safety at Work etc. Act 1974, the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999 the relevant Construction Regulations and have instructed that a Health & Safety Management System be developed that promotes a safe and healthy working environment and ensures a high standard of Health & Safety for their employees and anyone else who may be affected by their activities.
The Board and Managing Director of City Building believe that the successful Management of Health & Safety contributes to the overall performance of the business and they are fully committed to:
- Reviewing and rationalising the Health & Safety Management System of Building Services to best meet the needs of the new organisation, City Building.
- Developing a positive Health & Safety culture throughout City Building, by securing the commitment and participation of managers, supervisors, employees and their representatives.
- Ensuring that the Health & Safety Management System takes into account and complies with, so far as is reasonably practical, all relevant Health & Safety Legislation, Approved Codes of Practice, Guidance and other requirements identified as they relate to the activities of City Building.
- The Director of Corporate Services will have overall responsibility for co-ordinating, developing and monitoring the Health & Safety Management System and ensuring that line management is aware of its responsibilities and made accountable for the Health & Safety within areas under their control.
- Making arrangements to ensure the ongoing development and implementation of a risk assessment strategy, identified through Health & Safety Legislation related to the work activities of City Building. The purpose of this is to reduce and eliminate accidents, to achieve a safe and healthy working environment and to promote a positive health & safety culture.
- Making arrangements for implementing the preventative and protective measures that follow from the risk assessment strategy. These arrangements will include the Planning, Organisation, Control, Monitoring and Review of the City Building (Glasgow) UP Health & Safety Management System.
- Make arrangements for the effective monitoring of the Health & Safety Management System through the provision of Health & Safety audits, inspections, accident investigations etc. to promote/communicate the safety message through effective Health & Safety training, tool box talks and employee briefings.
- Making arrangements for joint consultation with employees and their representatives.
In summary, the aim of the Board is to develop and implement an efficient and effective Health & Safety Management System within City Building. The system will be developed in such a way that it takes into account the need to provide both systems of work and working environment that are safe and without risks to health, so far as is reasonably practicable. The organisation is wholly committed to continual improvement in health and safety.
Policy review – This Health and Safety Policy has immediate effect, replacing all previous versions. It will be subject to revision every 3 years.